All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have many new strategies and scientific developments emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of individuals the chance to decrease or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast method to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will enjoy with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by elegant ads about a specific laser center. Choose the physician, not the laser. Discover out who will really do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician does not know can navigate here hurt you.
Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your physician will not tell you, discover another one.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Search for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the benefits: for most individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of millions of individuals worldwide.